Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Road To A World Wonder

Very short update after what seemed to be spending a few days almost exclusively on the inside of a bus.

Dalat

In Dalat, it's 25 degrees on a warm day, so it kind of feels like home. Up in the green, but thoroughly scarred mountainside, lies this heavily French-influenced city, which has - as previously mentioned -  waterfalls in the vicinity. The Vietnamese dress up as if they're expecting a blizzard, but for us it was the time to take a breather from the tropical heat. The town itself has its charms, but it's no Hoi An.

Saigon 

The visit to Saigon was short, but powerful, I have silly video footage to prove it, will try and upload it later.

Getting into Cambodia

This was surprisingly high tech (palm and fingerprints on a scanner) and hassle-free. Not much else to be said about it. Movies that were screened during the busride: Clash of the Titans, Face/Off and Fast Five, all gloriously illegal with Vietnamese subtitles. The visa was, as expected, 25 US dollars.

Phnom Penh

The capital of Cambodia is a surprisingly low key place, in a week or so I'll be going there again for a more extensive visit. So far I've seen the royal palace, had a great vegan meal and got my hands on my first Riels, the local currency, although the US dollar is favored around here.

Siem Reap

After traveling together for 5 days, Antonella and I went our separate ways. We're both here for the same thing, but I intend to stay here a while longer. Tomorrow I can cross another name off of my bucket list: Angkor Wat.

Cue the Raider's March.



No comments: