Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Status Report (and I haven't even left yet)

Packing.

Unpacking.

Stare.

Repacking.

While I'm currently anywhere between 'Yay, let's do this!' and 'Mom! I don't wanna go!', these past few days have been the usual kind of weird before I set out and do something as outrageous as this. Every meal is accompanied by a West Wing episode ('I'm having difficulty having this conversation with people who don't sail.'), I'm dreading the hours I'll be sitting in an airport and I still can't decide on whether or not I'm going to pack my MP3 player. Tomorrow brings my last day in Belgium, it'll be  raining -so it'll mean less crowds- and I'll be buying the last items I really won't be needing, but will be bringing along anyway. I'm packing a lot less since my last trip, eager not to make the 'overpacking mistake' again. Not sure what the 'underpacking mistake' feels like, though I have a lively imagination, and I'm not planning to find out.

In front of me lies a Vietnamese frasebook and it has taught me so far that without a shadow of a doubt, I am going to make a fool out of myself. The internet, in the meantime, has taught me that the food is going to be great, it'll probably rain quite a lot, it'll be at least 10 degrees Celcius warmer than it is here and I'll be seven hours older than I am where I'm currently sitting.

On a completely unrelated note: over the past two days I've seen both Before Sunrise as well as Before Sunset, which are movies, to be clear. Before Sunrise is the first one and is about an American and a French girl that meet up on a train somewhere and decide to spend an evening together in Vienna. The second one takes place nine years later. They come highly recommended, especially if you've 'been there before' or are 'in the middle of it right now'. If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, I really can't help you, but you should watch them anyway.

Prometheus, on the other hand, is a movie I cannot get my head around. And it's been more than 3 weeks since I've seen it. The music is great, though.

I'll be missing the opportunity to see The Dark Knight Rises in a theater, which grieves me more than you could possibly know.

There'll be more. 

No comments: